Chana & Aloo Curry
serves 4 to 6, Prep: 20 min., Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. of garam masala (it's a blend of spices you can buy in the ethnic food aisle.)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp of tumeric
- 1/2 tsp. of corriander
- 1/4 cup of water or vegetable stock.
- 2 tsp of oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp of sugar
- In a large skillet or pot, add cubed potatoes and brown over medium heat with 1 tsp of oil. Add turmeric and 1/2 tsp of salt to potatoes.
- Once potatoes are browned (about 7 mins.), add onions and saute with garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
- Once the onions are translucent and the peppers and tomatoes.
- Add the chick peas and saute.
- Add salt to taste, sugar, tumeric, corriander, bay leaf and garam masala and the 1/4 cup of stock or water. Let it come to a boil.
- Let the stew simmer... until it is the how you want it. Some people like it a little soupy while others want it thicker.