So I thought I'd share it with you.
It's inspired by a recipe on Simply Recipes - however, I've changed the caramel topping a bit - and also changed some ingredients within the cake recipe as well.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of molasses
- 1 can (20 oz) of pineapple slices.
- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp cornmeal
- 6 Tbsp of ground almonds (from about 2 oz of whole almonds)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Start by making the caramel topping: Take sugar and butter and combine and melt in a saucepan on medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in the molasses and wait until the mixture is bubbly, this should take several minutes. Pour mixture into a 10 inch diameter stick-free cake pan with 2 inch high sides. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer ontop of the caramel mixture. About 7 slices fit.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Whisk the flour, corn meal, almonds, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the sugar and butter together until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream in 2 additions each, beating well after each addition. Pour cake batter over caramel and pineapple in pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 12 to 14 servings. Serve with ginger ice cream - I'm recommending Haagen Daaz.