Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

D-day

As a 24-year-old, I recently started learning how to cook Indian food. 

I never wanted to learn before because I was able to just ask my mom or grandmother to cook my favorite meals when I had cravings.

Now I'm living on my own in New York City and while I'm up here to study - I still have my Indian food cravings.

I've always known a lot about my Indian heritage. Although I was born in America, my parents came here in their twenties to start a new life and so I was always aware of Indian culture, food, ethics and history.

I've always been a good cook, something apparently I inherited from my father's side of the family - but after attempting to make Indian food once, and failing, I never tried again. 
It was a shrimp dish, that tasted really gross when I was done with it.


So now that I'm here - in a city where ingredients are fresh and ethnic produce and spices are easy to find - I'm learning how to make my favorite dishes. Although most times I call my mom or grandmother for advice on how to make something, I'm adding my own touches.


I also want to explore which pre-made Indian food is good and which isn't - because between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, Indian food is so accessible and easy to make - but is it good? Is it authentic?


So hopefully you'll come along with me on my journey... This blog will list recipes - so please try them and let me know what you liked and didn't - since I'm learning too and am still working on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment