Search This Blog

Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Mom's Famous Coconut Curry Shrimp

I'm going to preface this recipe with a little story about my mom, just because she cracks me up in the kitchen.

My mom swears she's an awful cook, yet the woman has fed her children for years and we've eaten it. I'll admit her culinary skills when it comes to meat preparation are funny, she is scared that it'll be raw so she overcooks meat until it's rubbery, but I can't blame her - she's vegetarian.

Anyway, her skills as an Indian cook are fine, though and actually good. I mean growing up my dad cooked a lot at home and there are some recipes he made that's no one has been able to replicate, however between my mom and my grandmother (her mother) I get a fair share of good indian cooking.

This shrimp dish was my vegetarian mom's creation and I honestly don't know what made her decide to mix these ingredients but this recipe is simple and delicious. Seriously, it's requested by my friends, her friends and family, alike. Furthermore, the best thing about this recipe is you can substitute anything for the shrimp and it would be just as good, we've used chicken before as well as an assortment of veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, carrots and etc.

My friend tried to order it once at an Indian restaurant and they had no idea what he was talking about, but that's because it's very Thai-influenced and it's a family recipe. So cherish this one!

Milu's Coconut Curry Shrimp
serves 6, Prep: 5 min., Cook: 25 min.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of coconut milk (usually in Mexican aisle)
  • 1 tsp. of Patak's Curry Paste (stick with mild)
  • 1 pound of shrimp
  • 1 carton of cherry tomatoes
  • salt to taste
  • cilantro


    Directions:
    1. Clean the shrimp, if fresh, disgarding veins and tails. Add shrimp to boiling water for approximetely 5 to 7 mins. Remove shrimp or drain water. Set aside.
    2. In a pot add coconut milk and bring to simmer over low to medium heat depending on your stove. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the curry paste and blend into coconut milk. Taste the sauce and decide if you should add more curry. This recipe takes some trial and error. If you want a stronger curry flavor add another 1/2 tsp. of the curry paste and taste again. Remember as the sauce thickens and continues to cook, it'll take on a stronger flavor.
    3. Add cooked shrimp and fold in with sauce. If you want more spice, you could add a small green chili or 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
    4. Add cherry tomatoes and let simmer until tomatoes look a little wrinkly.

    Serve over rice with a garnish of cilantro.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment