Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Indian Mac and Cheese (Masala Mac)

So, I started a new job in the Washington, D.C. area and moved out of New York City, so I'm officially on a mission to find good Indian grocery stores in the area and good Indian food.

But when I went back to NYC for some work training, I got a chance to finally try something I really wanted to eat the entire time I was in the city - masala mac and cheese from S'Mac in the East Village.

It's my favorite guilty pleasure with Indian spices, how can I resist? - or you for that matter.

So I decided I would try to create my own recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of macaroni, cooked in salted water, drained (use directions on box)
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup of shredded gruyere or provolone
  • 1/2 cup of parmesan
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 2 tbsp. of butter
  • 2 tbsp. of flour
  • 2 tsp of cumin
  • 1 tsp of coriander
  • 1 tsp of onion powder
  • 1 tsp of garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp of turmeric
  • 1/2 of red chili or cayenne
  • 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
  • oil spray
  • salt and pepper to taste



Directions:
  1. In a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter and add flour to it. Blend to make a roux. 
  2. Add milk to mixture and heat through. Try not to boil it, so stir regularly.
  3. Slowly add cheeses. Each time you add some stir it in until it it's melted through.
  4. Add spices - cumin, coriander, garlic, onion, turmeric and chili.
  5. Add cilantro to the mix and add cooked pasta.
  6. Taste mixture and add salt and pepper as needed.
  7. Place the entire pot of mac in cheese in a brownie pan or casserole dish that has been sprayed with oil.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 mins. covered. Uncover and baked for an additional 10 minutes until bubbly.

To find more info on S'Mac go to:
http://www.smacnyc.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment